Newborn Photography at JCPenney Portraits
From squishy toes and soft bellies to big yawns and wispy hair, you'll want to remember these moments forever. Our newborn photography sessions aim to capture the love and connection between you, your family, and your newborn in a meaningful and natural way. The best time to have these photos taken is within the first six weeks. After your session, select your favorite images to build custom wall and canvas prints, collages, photo cards, and more. See how design overlays can also enhance your favorite photos and visit our gallery for inspiration. We are excited to capture your family memories. Schedule your newborn session today!
As part of our enhanced cleaning and safety protocols, all studio locations are temporarily discontinuing the use of soft props. This includes items like blankets, swaddles, stuffed animals, etc. Customers are required to bring their own baby wraps or blankets to photograph newborns and non-sitters. We encourage you to customize your session and bring personal props from home. Learn more about the safety protocols we have implemented at all JCPenney Portrait studio locations.
Newborn Photo Tips
- Schedule your session early. Plan your newborn photos when your baby is between one and six weeks.
- Attempt to schedule your photography session around your infant’s nap and feeding routine. If possible, feed your infant prior to leaving home. This will allow their little tummies to settle and reduce spitting up and fussiness.
- A fussy infant can be challenging at any time. It is important to bring essential items to comfort your infant including a favorite blanket, pacifier, diapers, wipes and anything necessary for feedings.
- Don't forget the parents! No infant photo is complete without you, the parents. Come prepared to join in the session.
- A precious tiny hand in yours can be a long-lasting memory. Even if you aren’t comfortable posing, give yourself a manicure in case you want close-ups of your hands cradling the baby’s head, feet and hands.
- Your baby’s milestone photos are important. Schedule them ahead of time while you are at the studio. Most common dates are three-month, six-month, nine-month and first birthday photos.
- We can create your baby announcements, be sure to have your baby's weight, length and any other details handy.
- View our newborn and baby photo gallery for more inspiration!
Newborn Style Tips
Who doesn’t adore a photo of a cute baby? Capturing your infant with that precious new outfit and a few favorite items will help capture this time.
- Simple is good. Infants look adorable with little or no clothing. Consider items such as a baby onesie, a diaper, or a swaddle blanket.
- Top it off right. Bring along a beanie or stocking cap as it can soften your baby’s face.
- Newborn clothes tend to bunch up and look messy. Don't let your tiny baby get lost in layers of clothing.
- Try to choose light-colored clothing. White and pastels bring out your baby’s sweet complexion.
- For your session, avoid mittens or socks on your infant's hands and feet. They leave elastic marks on tiny wrists and ankles.
- Attach the diaper a little loosely to avoid lines around your baby’s waist.
- Always plan ahead and include a spare outfit in your diaper bag in case of spit ups or leaks.
- If you have any cherished items like a favorite toy or family blanket, be sure to bring it with you.